• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rurouni Kenshin Edits

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radicaledward

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Now that Kenshin has entered the Kyoto Arc the ends are becoming more dramatic, and outside of the normal "Can't say that on TV, or show that much skin on TV". In specific a good portion of the episodes are falling victum to the sheer number of edits. While some of these are arguably nessecary in order to show Kenshin on TV, do you think that the edits detract from the story itself, and if a scene is nessecary for the flow of the story should it be cut, or should a work-around be found (An example would be the digital bikinis in Tenchi Muyo!)
ExeterBlue

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 12:46 pm Reply with quote
i think the horrible dub and bunch of voice actors from the dukes of hazard detract from the plot a whole hell lot more than some cussing but yes i think editing things is bad so these edits are stupid as well.....but unargueably if you can watch it on tv and not want to immediately kill yourself after hearing anyone speak then missing a few curse words shouldnt affect you because you're SUPERMAN!
king_micah

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Kenshin should not be shown any farther on Toonami. The uncut can be shown on adult swim, but showing the Kyoto arc is a mistake like this due to the butchering required. The arc after this, remember the crazy christian villians. That will go well.
Ferquin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 5:55 pm Reply with quote
Wishful thinking, but maybe they'll show it on Adult Swim uncut? If they left the blood in and actually showed the actual murdering, it's actually passable for Adult Swim standards.

But, since RK is the next big thing after DBZ (until GT comes along), RK will remain on Toonami and lure in the newbie anime fans. Not that it's a bad thing. There most likely won't be some special sanitized CN version of RK on DVD so if the newbie fans want RK, they'll buy the same DVD we bought and they too will realize how much has been cut. Of course, the drawback is that some of those newbie fans will join the ranks of whiny nancy-boys that'll bitch about TV edits, and the rest will be happy with their uncut DVDs. Oh wait... Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I think the story will remain intact. Everything (except less blood and gore) is pretty much the same as I remember it. It's actually a little clearer now that I'm watching it over again. I even think that Saitoh is a little less villainized now. He just has his own way of dealing with stuff in the Meiji era. But yeah, it's a little less impactful with the violence edited out. But, meh. The DVDs are there, uncut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1