• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Summer Time Rendering (TV).

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2022 10:32 am Reply with quote

Summer Time Rendering (TV)

Source: Manga (completed @ 13 Volumes, by Yasuki Tanaka)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: OLM (Oriental Light and Magic)

Genres: mystery, supernatural

Themes: time travel

Plot Summary: Upon hearing of Ushio's death, Shinpei returns to his hometown of Wakayama City on Hitogashima and reunites with his childhood friend's family. The funeral goes smoothly, but under the surface something strange is brewing on the island.

Air Date & Platforum: Apr. 14, 2022 (Thursdays; Disney+, Hulu)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Nom De Plume De Fanboy
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2022 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Note: the first two eps are on YouTube right now. But not on a verified distribution YT channel. Quality is in the 360p range, so not great but usable.

Summer Time Rendering ep1. Looks like a well made production, mostly slow moving Jp type mystery, and maybe horror? Some serious violence.

TLDR Pet peeve of mine - I would be more impressed if it didn't switch from a waking dream abruptly into a face plant into a women's breasts, which could have come out of any poorly made rom-com. However - it immediately turns back into a well paced, interesting, 'isolated place has spooky stuff happening' show. The contrast makes me think the creators want us off-balance, never knowing if something is serious or not. Which is a good trick for mystery show to achieve, for sure; I just think the crashing into the cleavage didn't work well for me.

Anyway, it was very entertaining after that, and it gets extremely serious for a bit towards the very end. ( possible violence trigger spoiler ) spoiler[ We see three people shot dead very realistically.] But then they ( style) spoiler[ yank us hard again.] Specific plot point spoiler[ Put us back to the boob plant, at the beginning, as though it was all a dream. ]

Passing thought: in the dream at the start of ep 1, Ushio appears to Shin and does something to his head or eyes; maybe that has something to do with his ability to 're-awake' on the boat, or whatever that's called.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a good production. I am not offended by boob plants by themselves, where appropriate. Very Happy If the creators were aiming to throw people off, they succeeded with me, in a way. Rolling Eyes If it was for comic relief, maybe many people will like it. It just doesn't work that way for me. Ok, end of rant.

I do want to see this show now, I hope it keeps streaming somewhere besides the house of mouse. And I hope it gets an official channel, so ANN can do some kind of write ups.

PS ep2 is up now, and some things are a little bit clearer; also more weird in the old sense of that word. I need some time to think about stuff.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:18 am Reply with quote
I think the face plant and the panty shot are less fan service and more touchstones the writers figure will stick in people's minds to spoiler[anchor them in the timeline]. Guess they were right, since it keeps getting talked about. Smile

I'm glad Shin finally noticed his spoiler[eye color]. That stood out to me right away in the first ep.

I have to wonder if Disney knew what they were getting. The suicidal imagery right in the OP is pretty far outside their normal wheelhouse, ya know? Whatever, I'm eating this up with a spoon so far.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:15 pm Reply with quote
(She/Her)

S01E01

I happened to watch the walkthrough of the 1983 arcade game Dragon·s Lair before this and , uh , wow . First minute , same babe . 39 years and still faceplanting things for "Save me, hero!"

I could have done without the faceplant , sed i thought the panty shot wasn·t too excessive . I do like a good panty shot .

Mm .

Does anyone here know if heterochromia has a symbolic meaning in anime ka?

spoiler[Did they seriously just shoot the Woman In Black ka?]

Oh , well spoiler[at least they shot both the girl and boy .]

S01E02

Hm . Hard to say sed she looks like Mistress9 .
In that case , it would be Fire Away .

Whoop , Mio gets grabbed and spun up . The same digital glitch filter is used in Puella Magi Madoka Magica _ Magia Record , when Ai-chan gets grabbed and spun up .

Hai , this is actually happening . It·s Now already . So soon , i know . They grow up so fast .

Mistress9 droped an "It·s me , 1:02" . Persona Non Grata , "Serra, no!"

Aa aa aa
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2022 4:29 pm Reply with quote
MaritLage wrote:
Does anyone here know if heterochromia has a symbolic meaning in anime ka?

Well, in this anime, I think it means spoiler[he's possessed by Ushio's ghost] or something along those lines.

As for the rest of your post, I have no idea what you're talking about in most of it. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
yuna49

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2022 1:05 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I'm glad Shin finally noticed his spoiler[eye color]. That stood out to me right away in the first ep.

So is his color change a consequence of the events with Ushio? Are we to believe his eyes just changed overnight? Since it appeared in episode one I thought his heterochromia was just genetic. But I became confused when he seemed so surprised by his appearance. I need to go back and see how he is portrayed before spoiler[Ushio's death].

These episodes are sufficiently dense to warrant rewatching.

The most popular character I know of with heterochromia is Yuna from Final Fantasy X. There was no explanation given, nor any discussion of what her condition might mean symbolically. One theory is that it results from her being spoiler[half-Al Bhed].

Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 1:16 am Reply with quote
I noticed it right away because usually heterochromia is depicted with starkly different colors - pink/green, brown/blue, blue/green, purple/yellow, etc. Smile But this stood out for just being different shades of blue, and I guess because one of them was the same shade as Ushio's eyes, that made me, um, keep an eye on them. When I saw the pic below, that pretty much cemented its importance, but I couldn't figure out why neither he nor anyone else seemed to notice.

(click for larger image)

As for "overnight," it might well have happened during the spoiler[first or second (or third?)] trip to the island. Smile
MaritLage

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:19 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
The most popular character I know of with heterochromia is Yuna from Final Fantasy X. There was no explanation given, nor any discussion of what her condition might mean symbolically. One theory is that it results from her being spoiler[half-Al Bhed].

Who knows what they could possibly be thinking .

The cyan/purple color scheme reminds me of the new Magic: the Gathering ; card Luxior, Giana·s Gift . In the upcoming set , coming out this month on the 29th , there is a substance called Halo which is an addictive drug that gives people psychic visions and/or the ability to see the future .

Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 11:23 am Reply with quote
The Legend of the Galactic Heroes also has a character in it, Oskar von Reuenthal that has heterochromia. In his case, it does have a relative plot point where, as an infant, his mother had tried to gouge out one of his eyes because she believed that it was the result of an affair that she had. She is only stopped when one of the family's servants stumbles upon her as she is about to go through with it. Later in life, this, as well as the fact that his mother afterward took her own life along with his father blaming him results in Oskar having an inability to trust women and is used as his reason for still being single.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Ep 3

Note: Unless I'm told otherwise, I'm going to treat this like any other thread here and follow the usual rules for spoiler tags. If you're not watching the series or this episode yet, you probably aren't reading this anyway. Manga spoilers still should be tagged.

This reminds me of watching Shiki, the way it has this pervasive sense of doom and keeps me constantly on edge throughout the episode, wondering who can be trusted even moment to moment. Or kinda like Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956).

Right now I think I'm more suspicious of Tokiko than Sou, partly because it's not clear to me whether the Shadows know about their targets just from observation or if they absorb their knowledge when they ash the body after they kill them. Shadow Totsumura seemed to know more about the original than what Shadow Mio told him (but then why did she even need to tell him who he now was?). So I'm not sure how much good a password will do Shinpei & Co.

On the other hand, why didn't S. Totsumura seem to exist until after S. Mio killed the real one? I thought the deal was the Shadows were out and about secretly until they killed off the person they were doppelganging and took their place.

So many questions already. Can't wait to learn the answers (from the anime, not from manga readers, thanks).
MaritLage

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2022 2:32 am Reply with quote
(She/Her)

there is some incredible imagery going on here
it·s amazing what can be said in subtext and metadata

i liked the shot of all the anime masks
that·s chibi-usa you all remember chibi usa
¿is it that time already?

reviewing the follow through on the four-party model
it·s interesting to see
how care was taken such that
any of the four of us could be playing any of the roles
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2022 3:03 am Reply with quote
Ep. 4

Guess I was right about the password being useless. And I guess their knowledge is a little bit of both, from being created in their image and updating. Still not at all clear about that.

Unless Shinpei is to go about with broken limbs, he's going to need to backtrack again, so I guess Boob Agent will need to kill him. Maybe once they exchange some info this time.

Lots of weird humor with S/D faces this episode. Kinda made things feel disjointed and clumsy, rather than comic relief. Not really sure if I like Ushio or not yet, assuming this is how she really was.
MaritLage

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2022 10:20 am Reply with quote
(She/Her)

S01E05

|we think that the introduction of the limiter effect ,
|in regards to the time curtain slowly moving up ,
|is an interesting theme-appropriate plot decision ,

|Rebbec ,
MaritLage

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 7:19 am Reply with quote
(she/her)
S01E06

hey , we liked this episode
k

there isn·t much we can say yet
without spoiling too much however
NoCos is starting to look pretty good

check out those end credits too
MAGES , J.C.Staff , Aqua Aris
there·s a lot of magic users
working on this simple
summertime anime
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:24 am Reply with quote
Ep 5-7

Everything sure went to hell in a hurry in Ep 5. But a bit more info about why this is going on at least, even if it seems fairly nihilistic on the Shadows' part. And Ep. 6 was infodumping all over, but not in a bad way. It's high time for some solid answers to start dribbling out.

Pretty much everything seems to have changed this last time around in Ep. 7. I don't think I understand the whole dual personality thing, or why they thought it was even necessary to add that bit of weirdness in such an already extremely weird plot. Maybe there will be a point to it down the line, but I'm not seeing it yet.

Took me awhile to get why the eyepatch guy shot at Shinpei since he'd passed most of the tests. After reviewing it a couple times, I realized he was shooting his shadow. That was needlessly obfuscated since they changed where his shadow was falling in the cuts. At first he's facing it, but when it's shot, it's behind him, though he hadn't turned around in that moment.

They really do have a great sense of how to go out on natural cliffhangers. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2