• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Umineko - When They Cry (TV).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garfield15

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:21 pm Reply with quote
As a huge Higurashi fan I've been waiting for this for a while ever since they made the game. Luckily, this time however, I made sure not to look at a single scrap of information regarding this show until episode 1. So you'll have to forgive me, any visual novel purists, when I say that from a first-time watcher's standpoint, it was pretty good.

Now Higurashi comparison's are going to be inevitable (I was like "Oooh, that must be the Mion of the series! That makes Maria the Rika and that maid the Rena. Oooh, how delightfully fun and enjoyable!" Smile ) but the creepy factor, to me, was set on a different bar here. The premise sounds interesting as well and by the end of that episode, I was very anxious for more.

The OP is a masterpiece. The ED, eh I could take it or leave it honestly. Someone from another forum said it sounded like an old man trying to do his best Maximum the Hormone impersonation. It's very pretty and artistic if anything.

(BTW, about some of the complaints regarding characters...um, how did you exactly get through Higurashi since half of them are, like, similar to them. And I will agree that "Uuuu" is annoying as hell but Ni-pah~ and Auauauau~ are apparently forgotten now)
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Did you not watch Higurashi? Inserting incongruous fetishes and humor (Angel Mort, etc.) into a gruesome murder mystery was kind of the show's shtick.

Well, no I didn't, obviously. Since Higurashi's full name is almost never typed out here at ANN I didn't make the connection between the two series until I read people talking about.
aquagon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:03 am Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
Ugh, those themes are awful. Part of the charm for Higurashi was the subdued and/or creepy themes as opposed to some garish Ali Project-sounding crap.

That comes from someone that sounds like a complete ignorant about Shikata Akiko's style of composition, arrangement and singing: the only song of hers that has an actual similitude to the style of ALI-Project is Uzumebi from her Harmonia album, no other of her songs is actually comparable to them (not even the opening theme for this, or the opening song she had made for the VN that was the basis for this anime).

If you don't like them, okay, but calling it crap is going over the line (and I could pretty much say the same thing about the themes for Higurashi, since I didn't like them. And don't misinterpret me here: I said "I could", but I didn't actually say it).
RebirthedDuelist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 10:40 am Reply with quote
aquagon wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:
Ugh, those themes are awful. Part of the charm for Higurashi was the subdued and/or creepy themes as opposed to some garish Ali Project-sounding crap.

If you don't like them, okay, but calling it crap is going over the line (and I could pretty much say the same thing about the themes for Higurashi, since I didn't like them. And don't misinterpret me here: I said "I could", but I didn't actually say it).

i completely agree with aquagon, dont call it crap because that's a lil much. if you dont like it, then dont watch it. i didn't like the
*opening to higurashi, but i didn't call it crap, i just skipped the opening. now, if the OP and ED thats the problem, just skip them, hell i dont even watch the ED.

*note i didn't like the opening until i found a trance remix of it.
Ardlien

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:25 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[slapping annoying children] is all very well for dramatic effect, but not when the audience has only just been introduced to the characters. Much like the spoiler[ridiculously rude insults thrown at Natsuhi] without some kind of context or at least a contrast in the characters' actions (if we had had a slower introduction to the cast) it only serves to make spoiler[everyone seem psychotic]. I'm not against this as a rule, but I suspect it's going to make it harder for me to be shocked later in the series when spoiler[I presume everyone will be doing psychotic shenanigans].

I'll have to see more to be sure, but thus far it seems like a failure in pacing.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 3:47 pm Reply with quote
aquagon wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:

That comes from someone that sounds like a complete ignorant about Shikata Akiko's style of composition, arrangement and singing: the only song of hers that has an actual similitude to the style of ALI-Project is Uzumebi from her Harmonia album, no other of her songs is actually comparable to them (not even the opening theme for this, or the opening song she had made for the VN that was the basis for this anime).

Did you expect me to take you at all seriously when you wrote this? The themes are shit and Higurashi had better ones.
aquagon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I ask you the same, ignorant. Do you expect me to take you seriously when you don't have any knowledge at all of the compositional and singing style of the singers and composers you're insulting?

I tried to keep some politeness in my previous post and I was asking you to be just more respectful, but if you want me to reply back to you in your so-rude terms, then let me put it bluntly: Shikata has composed and sung tens of songs that are much better in melody, harmony, singing and lyrics than the crappy ones that Higurashi had, included the opening song to this anime and the opening song to the Umineko visual novels.
blind_assassin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:31 pm Reply with quote
aquagon wrote:
I ask you the same, ignorant. Do you expect me to take you seriously when you don't have any knowledge at all of the compositional and singing style of the singers and composers you're insulting?

I tried to keep some politeness in my previous post and I was asking you to be just more respectful, but if you want me to reply back to you in your so-rude terms, then let me put it bluntly: Shikata has composed and sung tens of songs that are much better in melody, harmony, singing and lyrics than the crappy ones that Higurashi had, included the opening song to this anime and the opening song to the Umineko visual novels.

Is Shikata Akiko your mom or something? You're taking personal offense and acting like a complete child because I expressed an opinion. Even if I cared at all that I offended you, I don't really know what you expect me to do in response your whining. Grow up and stop trolling.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:33 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
garish Ali Project-sounding crap.

I would assume this part was referring to the ED theme. Unless uh, you really think Akiko Shikata sounds gar. In which case, you have a really weird understanding of gar.
aquagon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:18 pm Reply with quote
blind_assassin wrote:
aquagon wrote:

Is Shikata Akiko your mom or something? You're taking personal offense and acting like a complete child because I expressed an opinion. Even if I cared at all that I offended you, I don't really know what you expect me to do in response your whining. Grow up and stop trolling.

The troll would be you then. If your first response to a post is "Should I take your words seriously?" that is already giving away what you really are. And that's not calling expressing an opinion, that's called "insulting", just because you don't know how to actually express an opinion respectfully, nor you even bother to actually investigate what is behind the thing you're insulting.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:11 am Reply with quote
aquagon and blind_assassin, you will both stop, calm down, and behave appropriately, or both of you will find yourselves with tempbans (or at least auto-moderation) and this thread locked. This is not acceptable behavior around here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:07 am Reply with quote
Ardlien wrote:
I'll have to see more to be sure, but thus far it seems like a failure in pacing.

For the ending of episode 1 yo get to the same point in the VN it would probably take 2 hours of reading. So yeah it was pretty butchered in that regards. A lot of complaints I've seen from new viewers wouldn't be made if people had read the VN.

Strange names
Eva/Natsuhi confrontation (though someone who married into a family telling the 3rd in line to get out getting verbally abused back is kinda self explanatory...)
Battler the boob grabber
jessica is a tsundere (uh no...) etc

But when you look at the whole picture this had to be done. To get to the ending point of next episode which should be the first major "hook" for viewers... if they faitfully followed the VNs it would take place in episode 4.

Not only that they have 4 VNs to cover in 26 episodes, each VN getting longer and longer. Episode 4 VN is probably 70% longer than Episode 1 VN. In addition to being longer VN's 2, 3 and 4 are much better than 1 imo. They had to sacrifice the set up parts to fit everything in and do justice to the stuff people actually care about.
Aylinn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:49 am Reply with quote
It’s a failure in creating atmosphere and interest, IMO. Maybe I would be more interested if I haven’t already read books like And Then There Were None. Umineko thus far hasn’t presented anything new. There are people that are trapped in an island from which they cannot escape. There is a poem that indicates future events. At this rate Umineko will be at best an average series unless something intriguing is done.

I have read 8 chapters of the manga, so I suppose I’m already familiar with the first major hook. Unfortunately, I’m not impressed in the slightest, but at least Maria is creepy.
4nBlue

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:44 am Reply with quote
Aylinn wrote:
At this rate Umineko will be at best an average series unless something intriguing is done.
The anime should start to get intriguing around the end of episode 5/start of episode 6, if you are looking for more than murder mystery.
PantsGoblin wrote:
blind_assassin wrote:
garish Ali Project-sounding crap.
I would assume this part was referring to the ED theme. Unless uh, you really think Akiko Shikata sounds gar. In which case, you have a really weird understanding of gar.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/garish
Westlo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:00 am Reply with quote
4nBlue wrote:
Aylinn wrote:
At this rate Umineko will be at best an average series unless something intriguing is done.
The anime should start to get intriguing around the end of episode 5/start of episode 6, if you are looking for more than murder mystery.

Yeah it's more a twisted battle of logic than a straight forward murder mystery... slight spoiler..nothing plot related or charater spoiler[heck they make fun of murder mysteries like that several times throughout the VNs]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 41