• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Official Manga Recommendation Thread (please read 1st post)

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pr3c1pit0us

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:10 pm Reply with quote
Hey, thanks for being so quick and decisive about the recommendations.

I honestly thought I might have been asking for a little too much or might have been too vague in my posts. But I thought, "Why not give it a shot?"

So the effort has worked out well in my favor. I'll be sure to check out Eternal Sabbath and Planetes because they both look very interesting.
Brazzlefrazz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 6:48 pm Reply with quote
I had been putting off finishing Genshiken because it was one of those titles where I just didn't want it to end. I finished it today, and it's kind of sad to think that I won't be reading about these characters anymore. I know there's a novel coming out in April, but what I'm looking for is another similar title. A comedic slice-of-life where you really get to care about the characters. Can anyone list a couple of titles that have been released in North America, that are still widely available, that fit these specifications?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:27 am Reply with quote
Flower of Life.

Yeah, yeah, it's drawn by Fumi Yoshinaga who is (unfortunately) best known for her yaoi, but this is a manga everyone can enjoy.

Quote:

So the effort has worked out well in my favor. I'll be sure to check out Eternal Sabbath and Planetes because they both look very interesting.

If you're starting to get into less mainstream manga, check out http://www.sigikki.com/ You can legally read (or atleast get a taste of) a dozen series here.
WantCoke

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:46 am Reply with quote
Hey all! Can you guys recommend some mangas? I am tired of trying mangas at random and getting disappointed Laughing

I don't really like Shoujo mangas that much.. but i can live with some, it depends on the story. I love mangas that are nerd-hero, deliquent, romance/ecchi and action/adventure types. I hope this helps xD

Oh, and mangas with good drawings gets a plus for me Cool Thanks in advance!
Ilov3anime_freaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:53 am Reply with quote
alright guys i need a new manga to read
im into ramance/comedy/school life
some action wont hurt you know
iv read:
chibi vampire, ichigo 100%, fruits basket, love hina, clannad, shuffle,
i suppose you get the point
im looking for those kinds

im sorta new to this site but
yea thanks
OLady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:43 am Reply with quote
Ilov3anime_freaks wrote:
iv read:

yea thanks

Well, Hana Kimi, Tail of the Moon, Ouran High School Host Cub, Her Majesty's Dog. That should get you started. Tail of the Moon is set in Warring States Japan and is dressed as a ninja tale, but is actually a love story, with action, especially in the mid- to later volumes. Start with Ouran. That's the most comedic and fluffy. You may have to order the first volumes at your favorite book store, but it'll be worth the wait. The others are heavier on romance and drama but definitely have comedic aspects.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:18 pm Reply with quote
I am currently in a bit of a manga slump , reading the same titles I've been reading for the longest time. Thus, of course, I'm looking for some new japanese comics to fill my spare hours.

I'm very interested in the idea of the romantic adventure, as presented in such titles as One Piece and Space Pirate Captain Harlock. I have read Hunter X Hunter and not found it suitable.

I am also very fond of Sherlock Holmes style mystery that is not Detective Conan and Gentleman Thief stories like Lupin III.

Finally, pretty much any super robot manga with decent characterization would be wonderful.

Also, anything that is extremely wierd .

Some of my Favorites:
One Piece
Fullmetal Alchemist
Pluto
Black Jack
Giant Robo
Kinnikuman
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Hokuto no Ken
Cyborg 009
Genshiken
Phoenix
Astro Boy

Last edited by IncompetentOverlord on Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ilov3anime_freaks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:19 pm Reply with quote
OLady wrote:
Ilov3anime_freaks wrote:
iv read:

yea thanks

Well, Hana Kimi, Tail of the Moon, Ouran High School Host Cub, Her Majesty's Dog. That should get you started. Tail of the Moon is set in Warring States Japan and is dressed as a ninja tale, but is actually a love story, with action, especially in the mid- to later volumes. Start with Ouran. That's the most comedic and fluffy. You may have to order the first volumes at your favorite book store, but it'll be worth the wait. The others are heavier on romance and drama but definitely have comedic aspects.

hmm well i checked these out and they dont really please me
but ill still read them
but in case i dont is there anymore? you know like some fantasy in there? i liked chibi vampire alot so any like those?
Tamaria

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Vampire Knight comes to mind. School life, vampires, some romance...

Or perhaps something dealing with past and future lifes? Like Please Save My Earth, Oyayubihime Infinity or Tower of the Future?
OLady

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:42 pm Reply with quote
There's Meru Puri, Beast Master, (not really fantasy, but has fantastical elements). Clamp's Tsubasa,the Reservoir Chronicles. Some like Haruka, Beyond the Stream of Time. La Corda d'Oro, Ghost Hunt, Phantom Dream. Older Clamp titles like Magic Knight Ray Earth. Bloody Kiss. On the school side, there's Otomen and Magic Touch.

Of course, our tastes may be different enough that we will have to wait for someone else to suggest something.
Wooga

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:13 pm Reply with quote
IncompetentOverlord wrote:

Finally, pretty much any super robot manga with decent characterization would be wonderful.

That would be Overman King Gainer by Kazuma Kondo (not published in US) and Eureka Seven (is published).
Yes there are only two.
As for 'completely wierd'...
Cat Paradise, Chikyu Misaki, King of Thorn. And Dorohedoro.
Tamaria

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 12:51 am Reply with quote
Quote:

I am also very fond of Sherlock Holmes style mystery that is not Detective Conan and Gentleman Thief stories like Lupin III.

Kamen Tantei. It's a manga about two teenagers trying to become novelists and the detective in their story more or less comes to life in their imagination and helps them solve cases in real life. It's better than it sounds, really. Fans of detective stories can get a lot out of it, because this series also pokes fun at the genre.

Quote:

Also, anything that is extremely wierd.

The Drifting Classroom. It's a horror series about a school that's spirited away to a post-apocalyptic future. Filled with WTF-moments.
IncompetentOverlord

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Thanks guys. I think I'll check out Eureka Seven and Kamen Tantei first, but I'll certainly give the other two a look.
sasha84

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Hey guys,

I'm looking for something for my little sister. She's 13 and going to summer school in France. She's not allowed to read anything in English for the first six weeks. Does anyone know of any good Manga available in French?
Peroxid

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:15 pm Reply with quote
sasha84 wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm looking for something for my little sister. She's 13 and going to summer school in France. She's not allowed to read anything in English for the first six weeks. Does anyone know of any good Manga available in French?

I believe Yotsuba&! is quite an interesting manga for an 13-old girl, and it's avaiable in french published by kurokawa.

Also Kimi ni todoke (Sawako in the french edition) could be interesting for her and is published by Kana.

When it comes to manga, there are way more manga published in french than in english (and if it's published in english you'll find it in french).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 4 of 33