• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Tower of Druaga: the Aegis of Uruk.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
8JF

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2008 8:31 pm Reply with quote
What a mixed bag of cliches. One day it's a comical spoof and the next so damn serious. But looking back on the serious episodes it only does a better job of making the comical ones much more funny.

Maybe not the greatest show of the season but it's been different and enjoyable in its own right.
suchibu

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
man its taking a long time to get english subbs, i haven't found one since episode 6
8JF

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:36 pm Reply with quote
suchibu wrote:
man its taking a long time to get english subbs, i haven't found one since episode 6

Gonzo is streaming it subbed on the same day it airs in Japan on several services for the international market.

Youtube and Crunchy are just two of the choices.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:02 pm Reply with quote
Which ones have the downloadable versions? Streams are ugly.
8JF

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:19 pm Reply with quote
Crunch and Boost I think.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:12 pm Reply with quote
The last episode aired today. spoiler[Kaaya and Neeba betray the rest. It is implied at the end Jil and Fatina are to be together. Hope not because Kaaya is the lead girl and the lead boy is Jil. Main anime boy and girl often may end up together or it's implied they do. At least, the end of the episode says there will be a movie or new season or something.]
Prophet EoA

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:13 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[Wow, definitely unexpected. Who'd expect Gilgamesh to be the third betrayer? Pazuz's case seems like it hasn't ended either, seeing we have a twin-tailed girl now too. It's also interesting how season 1 is Aegis (Shield), and season 2 is Sword.

In the end, Gonzo was successful in capturing my interest until the next season in 2009....]
Klein Noteworthy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 2:08 am Reply with quote
Having finally managed to get my life organized, I manged to finish watching the last 3 episodes of DRUAGA, and I must say that it wasn't a bad experience. Sure, it wasn't the best thing that I've seen recently, and being based on a video game it never really gave me impresion that it will be, but it definitely wasn't on the level of Ragnarok The Animation(which was horrible).

-Characters: The characters were handled well enough, with the main ones fleshed out enough to give a concern for their fate in the end. None of them ever came as being excptional in terms of personality or motivation (Coopa's relationship with Melt, Ahmey's wish, and Jil's motivation were nothing that hasn't been explored already in different animes) but there interaction with other characters and their dialoge made them more likable as a group than individuals. The character design wasn't excatly fresh or uniqe, but it never came across as being generic. The fanservice never became too excessive (although the scene at episode 11 did strike me as being a bit surprising with the whole nude bath).
Overall: 6/10

-Plot: Several group's of people are climbing a tower to slay an evil god. That sums episodes 1 to 11 and 3/4 of episode 12.spoiler[ The last quarter of episode 12 shows that behind that plot, lies another story. The hints given in previous episodes already prepared me to expect which 2 would betray Jil (I've had doubts untill Ahmey died) but the 3rd person was unexpected (even though the flashback should have given it away). It's an avreage story, but with a well handled plot twist.]
Overall: 7/10

-Animation Quality: Gonzo are known for their quality in animating, and DRUAGA is no exception. All of the 12 episdoes are well animated, the fight scenes are fluid and the editing was excellent for the most part.
Overall: 9/10

-Music: Nothing made me want to go and buy the OST, but it didn't make me hate the composer and the opening and ending are more or less good. Nothing much to say here.
Overall: 6/10

-Voice Actors: All of them have done a great job capturing the feel of the characters, and their performance made the humor actually funny.

Of course, the main reason I was intrested into this anime was because of the idea of ''one of the first (along with Blassreiter) animes to ever have a simultaneous release online, subtitled in English, at the same time as the show airs live in Japan.'' Gonzo have decided to do something groundbreaking and do something different to combat fansub's. So the question that every one should be asking now is:

Did it work?

If you go to Gonzo's The Tower of DRUAGA Youtube page , many can see that the view's for each episode seems to be decreaseing with the frist episode having 147,384 view's (as of 20th of June) and then fall to an avreage of about 50,000 view's per episode, while these numbers might not be exactly accurate, they do show the trend of popularty for the anime.

So the show wasn't the most expected show for this season, but what about the financial side? Now, DRUAGA airs on sevreal broadcaster's in Japan and during that time advertisment is shown and such and Gonzo are releasing the DVD on the 27th of June, but what about the additional costs? Who ever was in charge in subbing and setting the Youtube/Crunchyroll pages as well as releasing the episodes would expect to be paid for his/her(their?) work. This is not some fan group where everyone just does it for the sake of it, and I find it highly unlikely that anybody would work for free for a successful company like Gonzo (they have been around for 16 years now). Then there is revenue. Many have pointed that the donation option is not exactly the best option, mainly due to the fact that it is risky as there is no guarantee that any one would donate(though Gonzo must have hired financial experts to explor the best sloution beforhand), and even if they did will that be enough? You can see that on avreage $2 to $5 and then some of the more egar fans would give $70+, so they might have genarted enough revenue but I'll have to wait and see.

spoiler[Right now I am more intrested in the financel figures for this anime than for the ''Second'' season, as it will most likely decided wheater or not other companies might use this meatod.]

Note: there could be some spelling mistakes, so I might have to go back and fix them.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:56 am Reply with quote
Wow, great last episode, except for the $%#^ tease of an ending. And now they make us wait a year or so to find out what happens next. Sad

There is some really complicated stuff going on with these folks. It ended sort of how I thought it would when they announced the second season, although I didn't think they would spoiler["wipe out" the party (was that an intentional pun on their part?), I figured they'd all just carry on to the "second disc". At least on the New Game+ they'll be starting at their higher level so they should just sail through it (although they'll need a new healer).]
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 10:35 am Reply with quote
spoiler[With what can be deemed a controversial and too soon of a season finale and with last week's event's, can it be assumed next season that Jil will still want to be Kaaya. After all, the Opening Song shows them together?]
v1cious

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 11:03 am Reply with quote
why didn't you just put this in the other Druaga thread? anyways i wouldn't call it controversial, but it sure was annoying. they might as well have done a 24 episode series.
Ohoni

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 4:59 am Reply with quote
Yeah, a 12 episode series should not have that heavy of a cliffhanger. It's just cruel. But yeah, I imaging hell gather a new party (with most of the scraps of the old) and bust through tower 1 in short order, moving on to tower 2 and the new adventures therein.
evozcom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:51 pm Reply with quote
from what im seeing and reading. you tube pulled all shows and now they have whats to be a trailer for thae movie coming out. also i belive that season to will be listed as Sword of Uruk. in 2009.
is there any word or site that i can go to to get more info.

my ref: http://www.youtube.com/user/TTODruagaAE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcGSdZbi1EQ

i found this site saying around july 2009 we will be seeing it

http://www.animekon.com/news-619-The-Tower-of-Druaga-2nd-Season-Announced.html

[i][EDIT: Do NOT double-post. Use the "edit" button to add to your post if it's the last in the thread.
evozcom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/user/TTODruagaAE NEWS everyone they just came out with trailer and now saying Jan 1 09 were going to see new TOD sword of uruk
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5