• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Working!! (Wagnaria!!) (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:31 am Reply with quote
I could not find a topic being made for the spinoff now that it is finished, so I thought that I might just comment in the thread for the original series.
WWW.WAGNARIA!!

Episode 13 (finale)

Well, the series managed to have some character development, and not leaving the characters in limbo, something later seasons of the first series did. Even if figuring out the passage of time could be a bit confusing. It was not a bad ending, and this spinoff with its own cast managed to avoid repeating the story beats the first series did, which did create some interesting couples.

As much as I think that this did an alright work for doing a spinoff, I also think that overall the characters are lacklustre in comparison to the group in the first series, maybe a bit too subdued. Our main character does have a quirk in how deadpan he is, but it never really felt fully capitalised. Our female lead was humorous and kind of refreshing, but the poisonous food joke felt kind of stale and not as interesting as Inami’s fear of men and her growth. There was not even really a Popura, although perhaps it was his classmate which as a cliché he should have gone for, but overall she had low impact. For cuie factor though I might point to the baby and tanuki.

Rating the series, I think that I side with a Decent (6/10), I did not really lose my time with it, but there was also nothing really big that made it much to comment on, yet also not stale.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2016 11:19 am Reply with quote
It certainly didn't match the previous series or even Servent x Service in character development or plot development but it really didn't have much of a chance to. Packed with characters but stuffed completely in 13 episodes. SxS at least had the optimism of hoping for a continuation, not so here.

I do think it did something quite unique for a wacky romantic comedy though, and that's portray characters dating who were completely unsure of their relationships. It's kind of refreshing to see characters who get to know each other while they're dating instead of the usual anime comedy routine of your couple completely falling in love and realizing they've found their soulmate- at which point them saying "I like you" is practically a teenage marriage proposal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6