• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NJ_

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
It's not that surprising. FUNimation probably thinks it has broader appeal than the usual Gundams, and is hoping to continue cashing in on Attack on Titan.

Well they screwed up then because the only Gundam with major popularity in the west is Wing and those BDs are sure to sell more than IBO ever will.

GATSU wrote:
Nyren: If they run out of Gundam, they can look into other Sunrise properties. I brought up City Hunter not too long ago. Cool

Shawne confirmed at their panel that they're not releasing DVDs anymore, all main Nozomi titles are Blu-ray only from here on out and since City Hunter & Angel Heart have no such releases in Japan, it's not happening.
Triltaison

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:26 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Shawne confirmed at their panel that they're not releasing DVDs anymore, all main Nozomi titles are Blu-ray only from here on out

Oh, really? That's a little disappointing. I was hoping they'd do DVD/BD combo packs as the standard at some point since I like having the option of both available.
matt78

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:21 pm Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
Shawne confirmed at their panel that they're not releasing DVDs anymore, all main Nozomi titles are Blu-ray only from here on out and since City Hunter & Angel Heart have no such releases in Japan, it's not happening.

Is it possible that they could do SD on blu ray like Discotek did for Samurai Pizza Cats? Or did he say they wouldn't be releasing anything anymore that isn't HD? It would be disappointing if they didn't release older shows anymore.
Guntank81

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Cool, now Funi, push out SEED and 00 as well please (since Rightstuf clearly has no intention beyond older shows)

Chill, RS announced Gundam Wing and they are probably working on it. we will eventually get SEED
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Guntank81 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Cool, now Funi, push out SEED and 00 as well please (since Rightstuf clearly has no intention beyond older shows)

Chill, RS announced Gundam Wing and they are probably working on it. we will eventually get SEED

Eventually, by 2023 lol, and 2026 for 00 (exaggeration, but my point stands, it's taking too long, maybe Funi will speed-up the process) Rolling Eyes
Maybe IBOs success will motivate them to do more as well.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:

Maybe IBOs success will motivate them to do more as well.

Didn't IBO have horrible ratings on Toonami when it aired? As I don't get it, I'm just going off what I've heard. I just don't see IBO doing that well to support your claim. Outside of Wing (EDIT: And Unicorn), Gundam's never been a big seller.
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Didn't IBO have horrible ratings on Toonami when it aired? As I don't get it, I'm just going off what I've heard. I just don't see IBO doing that well to support your claim. Outside of Wing (EDIT: And Unicorn), Gundam's never been a big seller.

I don't know IBOs numbers either, but I heard the opposite, that it's the best gundam episodic series in a very long time? That's what I've seen, from the community at least. Did it actually bomb? :S
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:56 pm Reply with quote
So is their any reason why Gundam doesn't do well in America? They have pushed for it in the past, do people not find Mecha appealing?
getchman
He started it

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Lynx Amali wrote:

I don't know IBOs numbers either, but I heard the opposite, that it's the best gundam episodic series in a very long time? That's what I've seen, from the community at least. Did it actually bomb? :S

based on what I can find, ratings seem to have ranged from 850k to just slightly over 1 million. kinda unstable for its time slot, but overall, looks to be good
BadNewsBlues

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:20 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
So is their any reason why Gundam doesn't do well in America? They have pushed for it in the past, do people not find Mecha appealing?

Who can say for certain, though that would make sense when you remember of all the giant robot/Mecha series it's the most well known around here.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Funimation is far more reliable and puts out much better quality releases.

Yeah, I call BS on that. Funimation has the worst quality control in the industry in terms of packaging, even worse than Media Blasters at their height. Funimation's normal packaging results in damaged discs at a rate more frequent that other company's single-spindle releases.

I've had to return at least ten Funimation releases because the company designed their cases in a way that the discs automatically arrived scratched. I own at least a half-dozen Funimation BD-DVD combo packs that arrived with heavily scratched DVDs that I haven't returned because, "eh, I'll probably only ever watch the Blurays, it's not worth the effort to return it."

I tolerate it because I can usually get an undamaged copy after I return the product one or two times, but the point is I shouldn't have to, especially when I've never had a Rightstuf or Discotek product arrive in damaged condition, no matter where I buy it from.

Quote:
Eventually, by 2023 lol, and 2026 for 00 (exaggeration, but my point stands, it's taking too long, maybe Funi will speed-up the process)

Yeah, after all, Funimation sure was expeditious in their release of 3.33, and they've done a great job releasing all of the out-of-print Slayers films! Rolling Eyes
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Where do you buy your DVDs? Mine always come in mint condition without flaws Confused
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Yeah, after all, Funimation sure was expeditious in their release of 3.33, and they've done a great job releasing all of the out-of-print Slayers films! Rolling Eyes
3.33 was delayed by Studio Khara, they were unsatisfied with the English dub and decided to write the English script in-house, which took them years, and then they forced Funi to re-dub the film according to that new script. So the delay was due to the Japanese.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Where do you buy your DVDs? Mine always come in mint condition without flaws Confused

I usually get them from either Amazon or Rightstuf. Of the two, Amazon definitely mangles their packages the most* but I've definitely had to return both Oh! Edo Rocket and Haibane Renmei to Rightstuf because they arrived with heavily damaged discs.

I'm not saying that Funimation is bad at dubbing, disc authoring, or any of that other stuff, but my experiences with their packaging really leaves a lot to be desired.

* It's even worse with manga: I buy 4-6 titles a month using AmazonPrime, and I routinely have to return at least half of them because they were thrown into loosely padded envelopes and then damaged during shipping.

Quote:
So the delay was due to the Japanese.

Sure, but the SEED and 00 situation could be due to the Japanese, too. I'm not going to assume that having two distributors releasing Gundam titles instead of just one would automatically result in them being pushed out faster.
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

Does Funimation even have the license for the Slayer movies? I don't recall them ever announcing them.
NJ_

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
^They haven't announced them yet but it's looking very likely that they do have them with the amount of Kadokawa titles they have been picking up in recent months (including rescues like Gosick, Nichijou & Record of Lodoss War).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4