• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Licenses Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:31 am Reply with quote
NJ_ wrote:
^They haven't announced them yet but it's looking very likely that they do have them with the amount of Kadokawa titles they have been picking up in recent months (including rescues like Gosick, Nichijou & Record of Lodoss War).

It still seems unreasonable to complain that they are taking to long to release them when they haven't even announced them yet.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
matt78 wrote:
It still seems unreasonable to complain that they are taking to long to release them when they haven't even announced them yet.

I wasn't "complaining" about Funimation not releasing Slayers; I was drawing a comparison to a franchise that people assume Funimation has and is sitting on. Perhaps it wasn't the best example, but that being said, it seems even more unreasonable to complain about Rightstuf not releasing Gundam titles when they've already released EIGHT distinct Gundam titles in the first half of 2017 alone.
matt78

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:54 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:

I wasn't "complaining" about Funimation not releasing Slayers; I was drawing a comparison to a franchise that people assume Funimation has and is sitting on. Perhaps it wasn't the best example, but that being said, it seems even more unreasonable to complain about Rightstuf not releasing Gundam titles when they've already released EIGHT distinct Gundam titles in the first half of 2017 alone.

You are right that there are better examples. Funimation probably has at least 2 dozen titles in their backlog that they are sitting on. I do agree that the guy complaining about Gundam is being unreasonable. If I'm not mistaken isn't Right Stuf just the distributor for Gundam. That would mean that Sunrise decides what and when to release each title.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:40 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
but that being said, it seems even more unreasonable to complain about Rightstuf not releasing Gundam titles when they've already released EIGHT distinct Gundam titles in the first half of 2017 alone.

I would have to agree with this point. For starters the pace at which Gundam titles gets released is pretty good right now. We're not waiting months between releases of each series. It's not like it's 3-4 months in between each new series coming out at this point. Secondly, and more importantly, most people do NOT have that amount of disposable income to buy all of these series if they release them all at once or within a short time frame. At least I sure don't know many with that amount of disposable income to buy all the Gundam titles released in such a short order, let alone any other titles they may interest them.
dark13

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Lynx Amali wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:

Maybe IBOs success will motivate them to do more as well.

Didn't IBO have horrible ratings on Toonami when it aired? As I don't get it, I'm just going off what I've heard. I just don't see IBO doing that well to support your claim. Outside of Wing (EDIT: And Unicorn), Gundam's never been a big seller.
huh No ? numbers were really good,good enough to air the second season, Now if were talking bad ratings Lupin's get that, Lupin wasn't really a big seller.
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Cool, now Funi, push out SEED and 00 as well please (since Rightstuf clearly has no intention beyond older shows)

What makes you say that?
shawnek
Accredited Retailer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 3:41 pm Reply with quote
Ambimunch wrote:
Guntank81 wrote:
Ambimunch wrote:
Cool, now Funi, push out SEED and 00 as well please (since Rightstuf clearly has no intention beyond older shows)

Chill, RS announced Gundam Wing and they are probably working on it. we will eventually get SEED

Eventually, by 2023 lol, and 2026 for 00 (exaggeration, but my point stands, it's taking too long, maybe Funi will speed-up the process) Rolling Eyes
Maybe IBOs success will motivate them to do more as well.

My god, we have had a new Gundam release every month for three years. I'm sorry that's not fast enough for you. At this rate, I'm pretty sure we will be done far before 2023.

I would also pit the quality of our releases against anyone in the industry. Our staff works very hard (many times with long arguments with Japan) to put out the best product that we can.

In terms of the schedule, I personally set it, so if you have an issue you can blame me. Mostly it comes from release dates in Japan, remaster availability, and materials availability. We have had to shuffle sometimes due to not getting everything we need to make the release, and, as I said in my AX panel, I ran two tracks of Gundam releases, one for stuff already out (for those who haven't experienced Gundam before) and one for titles never before released (for those who already have the older titles and may not care to re-buy, even though the BDs are pretty spectacular compared the BEI releases and we have fixed many issues that were in them.)

I can't put out 20 Gundam titles all in the same month. As someone here mentioned, people do not have $ to buy these like this. As it is, to be honest, we have received complaints we are doing too many too fast.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4