• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Skip and Loafer (TV) (w/ index).

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:47 pm Reply with quote

Skip and Loafer (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 8 volumes, by Misaki Takamatsu)

Demographic: Seinen

Animation Studio: P.A. Works

Genres: comedy, drama, romance

Themes: coming-of age, school

Plot Summary: Mitsumi moves to Tokyo to attend a prestigious school and achieve her dreams of making positive change in the world. But while she's got book smarts, she soon finds herself inexperienced in big city social norms, and struggles to make friends at first.

Air Date & Platform:
April 4, 2023 (Tuesday)
Available on: Crunchyroll

Episode Count / Runtime: 12 episodes
----------------------------------

EPISODE INDEX

(Clicking on the episode will take you to my post that has a summary, comments, and screen-caps)

Episode 01: Sparkling-Fresh
Episode 02: Fidgeting and Wandering
Episode 03: Dreamy and Sparky
Episode 04: Tingling and Scraping

Episode 05: Prickly and Giddy
Episode 06: Drizzling and Flickering
Episode 07: Hectic and Hot Stuff
Episode 08: Heat and Complications

Episode 09: Drowsy and Peppy
Episode 10: Scrambling and Dripping
Episode 11: Hype and Excitement
Episode 12: Shining

Last edited by Tony K. on Thu Aug 10, 2023 7:28 pm; edited 14 times in total
A Mystery

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 12:18 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Masterpiece. Our main heroine is so cute and relatable.
The opening song with the dancing already got met thinking 'this cannot go wrong'. They were dancing like they weren't afraid to be themselves.
What's really interesting: she didn't puke anything on herself! I remember doing more poorly a long time ago when I went out shopping with friends, got sick on the train... and... *censore everything from train, trainstation halls, trash bins, clothes and toilets*
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:19 pm Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
What's really interesting: she didn't puke anything on herself! I remember doing more poorly a long time ago when I went out shopping with friends...

I never managed to puke some kind of neon-blue evaporating gatorade myself as far as comparisons go.<g>.

I enjoyed this show too. It's sweet, but not two cups of sugar in one glass of iced tea sweet. The MC's intense earnestness and the male lead's laid back affability make for some pretty good chemistry since neither seems to disrespect the other and both seem like decent people at heart.

I am curious about the title. It's pretty obvious who "Loafer" is, but does "Skip" imply that the female lead is going to become a truant?

Anyway, good pilot.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2023 4:39 pm Reply with quote
@ A Mystery - I always wondered where your nickname - The Vomit Comet - came from Wink

I too liked this first episode, although I do take a bit of issue with the series description where it says that she "struggles" to make friends at first. Um, hello? She managed to get the class studmuffin to ask for her digits on her very first day. I think the girl's doing alright for herself. I'm not so sure we can count the girl who sits right behind her, because she only seemed interested in exchanging contact info after Studmuffin gave Mitsumi his.

It seems that a lot of humour will be mined from comparing Mitsumi's intended plans with what actually happens. Looking forward to it.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2023 10:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 01: Sparkling-Fresh

Summary: Pending

Comments: Looks like another fluffy, easy-going, and quirky rom-com for this season to compliment Yamada-kun. I like the art style of this. The characters are well-drawn, and the color palette is nice and vibrant.

It'll be interesting to see some of the culture clash between Mitsumi's countryside demeanor going against the hustle and bustle of the big city. If it's that prestigious of a school, I'm sure she's super-smart. So it's just a matter of actually adapting to the lifestyle. Although, I imagine said culture clash will result in some pretty hilarious scenarios.

I tried mixing in half character and half background caps. There's an especially good amount of detail in those cityscapes. I've also always been a fan of cherry blossom trees, so you might see me capping the really good shots of those every now and then. Great art should not go unappreciated.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Edjwald

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Episode 2

I enjoyed this one as much as the first. I've had a lot of fun watching this show, but y'know, it's starting to develop some layers.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2023 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Episode 02: Fidgeting and Wandering

Comments: Another enjoyable episode. Hopefully, we're not looking at a love triangle or square down the line. The mood of the show is so quirky and light, I feel any kind of heavy melodrama could possibly bring it down a notch or two depending on its quality. Although, that didn't stop me from loving Honey and Clover.

I do like the whole "you don't really know what people are thinking" angle, which seems especially more true for teens. I'm wondering what Shima's secret is. He seemed to have some passive disdain when watching the play. And if he used to be an actor, what if his peppy demeanor is just an act in itself?

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
A Mystery

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2023 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Another awesome episode.
Also fun to see the main bully (Egashira) immediately getting called out. That's right folks. In real life, it's not always the bullies and schemers that win. People who're their cute selves just have a charismatic aura to them. They're relatable, real. It's just very awesome to see a show that lets viewers see that being yourself makes it easier for you to make real friends (rather than a clique of pretend friends). Egashira won't be a bully for long I believe.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2023 3:13 am Reply with quote
A Mystery wrote:
It's just very awesome to see a show that lets viewers see that being yourself makes it easier for you to make real friends (rather than a clique of pretend friends). Egashira won't be a bully for long I believe.

Agreed.

The opening credits suggest that Egashira lightens up at some point, which could be nice. They've been handling everything else well so far.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 12:24 pm Reply with quote
Episode 03: Dreamy and Sparky

Comments: The character chemistry in this has a certain innocent, whimsical, adorableness to it. Mitsumi's mix of being brash, yet oblivious make for some great moments and is pretty endearing. I also like how everybody seems to get along or feels like they're learning more about each other. Kurume's shyness and inner thoughts led to some awkward interactions and were pretty hilarious, as well.

Egashira seems to be the only character dragging everything down. I'm not a big fan of try-hard personalities, and she definitely is trying too hard to 1) outdo Mitsumi, and 2) attract Shima. Like, what does she even bring to the ensemble? I just keep seeing her as trying too hard, failing, and getting mopey about it. It detracts from all the other positive vibes from the show. I hope she has a turnaround.

Screen Caps:

Last edited by Tony K. on Sat Apr 22, 2023 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:33 pm Reply with quote
I assume that she will grow as a person and become less annoying and maybe even pleasant to have around. For now though, she is a drag whenever she is on screen. Otherwise the show remains charming with some sweet and some bitter.
Edjwald

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2023 5:11 pm Reply with quote
Right now, Egashira is serving as the anti-Mitsumi. Fashionable versus rube. Manipulative versus sincere. Seems confident and socially competent, but not much of a real foundation. The kind who could get twisted up really easily trying to fit in. Whereas Mitsumi is awkward and nervous, but she has a definite bottom line and knows who she is, and having Egarashi around makes that clear by contrast. .

But if nothing else, the opening sequence suggests that Egashira isn't just hanging around to play the frenemy, and the show seems too kind hearted to go that route anyhow..
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2023 9:58 am Reply with quote
Agreed, the show is too fluffy to have her be the eternal (fr)enemy with no development. I also love how the third episode shows that first impressions aren't everything and that trying to fit someone into a box based on their looks/vibe is not always reliable.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2023 8:51 pm Reply with quote
Episode 4

Just watched episdes 2 thru 4 back to back to back (thanks to a recent week visiting family with crappy internet access, I've gotten badly backlogged with the new season). What a delight of a show. I like that none of the characters are just "types." They've got discernible personalities, quirks and have facets. Shima-kun is a nice guy but as Acting Club Prez found out, he can have an edge. Yes, Egashira has a not great side, but she obviously has some self-recognition, too. She knows she's a "try hard." She strikes me as someone who lacks confidence and believes the only way she can get what she wants is to be manipulative. I don't see her as a villain, though, and I expect her to develop. It just seems like that kind of show.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2023 7:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 04: Tingling and Scraping

Comments: Pending

Screen Caps:

Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4