• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Too Cute Crisis (TV).

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 12:29 pm Reply with quote

Too Cute Crisis (TV)

Source: Manga (ongoing @ 6 volumes, by Mitsuru Kido)

Demographic: Shounen

Animation Studio: SynergySP

Genres: comedy, science fiction

Themes: pets

Plot Summary: Liza Luna has been dispatched to Earth by the space empire Azatos. At first, she thought that it would be fine to destroy the Earth, since it has a low level of civilization. However, after stopping at a café, she encounters a cat and is shocked by her cuteness.

Air Date & Platform:
April 7, 2023 (Friday)
Available on: HIDIVE

Episode Count / Runtime: Pending

Last edited by Tony K. on Tue Apr 11, 2023 11:56 am; edited 2 times in total
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:25 pm Reply with quote
Episode 1

Hmmm. Not sure. I haven't read the manga this is based on, but I suspect it's a 4-koma "gag" manga which doesn't always make for the most scintillating 24-minute anime episode. Plus, the comedic premise seems ridiculously limited: alien researcher originally dismisses Earth as not worth preserving but then discovers cats, dogs and other cute animals. I'll give this a few more episodes, but if I'm not seeing any evidence of development, if it's just ringing the same comedic gong over and over again, I'm out.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 1:19 am Reply with quote
Ep 6

I love the pics of all the different pets in the EDs, but showing many pets in the dryer without a "don't do this" disclaimer made me uneasy.

Halfway through, and still not sure how I feel about this. Liza is a bit too frantic for my tastes, but the animals are cute and the info is nice. Some jokes are funny. Like the hat tip to the Ig Nobel paper about cats being a liquid.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 3:41 am Reply with quote
It is a fun show if you can handle the cringe of them going complete bonkers everytime an animal does something cute.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2023 10:04 am Reply with quote
I dropped this after the first episode and none of the comments here suggest I made the wrong decision for myself.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 4:20 am Reply with quote
Well, the show is basically showing cute pets/animals and their cute actions while aliens go nuts over the cuteness of it all. It has been that since episode 1 and from the looks of it that is what it will be until the end.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 6:05 am Reply with quote
Ergo, my opinion that I made the right choice for me. I like watching cute pets but that's a premise I think I could only handle in five minute chunks.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 7:20 am Reply with quote
It does make me wonder if certain adaptions should really work with a weekly 21 minutes of content basis. Some manga have a formula that does not change at all and because it is delivered in a regular small dose it works out and stays fun, if predictable. As an anime show you are forced to air on a weekly basis, you can go for less than 21 minutes per episode, but having short episodes is a bit of a rarity these days.

Not to say I dislike Too Cute Crisis, it is a fun show and yet some episodes do feel like the gag is overused in that episode due to the length.
smurky turkey

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2023 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Well, episode 12 just popped up and the show truly was reactions to cute pets from episode 1 until the very end. More and more aliens joined the reaction club as the episodes went by and some new humans were introduced as well, but the core remained the same. Which is why I will say that if episode 1 does not interest you, then you are better of skipping the series entirely, the show knows what it wants to be and sticks to it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2023 2:35 am Reply with quote
I thought it got a little better over time. I think ep 10 or 11 (can't remember which now) was the best one.

The alien zookeeper reminds me of the alien spouse in Jingai-san no Yome. Smile
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2023 5:42 am Reply with quote
Not really anything deep to say about the show, but it did have its moments of entertainment if you can be okay with watching some cute animals and people getting way too into how cute they are.

My rating will be Decent (6/10), I didn't lose my time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1