• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Seto no Hanayome

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainulf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 7:16 am Reply with quote
Seto no Hanayome or Bride of the Strait

Okay, so this show is about a young boy who gets drown and saved by a female mermaid, according to mermaid law, if a human sees a mermaid's true form, both have to be killed. The only solution to the problem is for him to marry her. I think this is the first anime i've watched with mermaids and has that kind of plot. The first episode was pretty funny but sometimes, it gets overacting. The first impression of it to me was excellent. In episode 2, the part spoiler[when they've been misunderstood having sex was the best part]..Anime hyper It was so funny. I look forward watching this series.
Eruanna

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:23 pm Reply with quote
First of all, I have to say that the fact that its a comedy is dissapointing to me. When I first heard about it, all I knew was that it was about a romance between a boy and a mermaid, because she had rescued him from drowning. The official website had a girl in a yukata with a katana, and it all looked very elegant and serious.
I was looking forward to a serious show about merfolk, and then I found out it was going to be a comedy. I found this out long before I ever watched it, but it still makes me flinch a bit.
I want it to be said that merfolk is a virtually untapped genre in any medium that is just BURSTING with potential. So anything involving merpeople is going to get my attention. Even being a comedy, Im still enjoying it, but I really wish they hadnt gone the comedic route.

There is one other thing I was a bit dissapointed about.
The merfolk dont actually keep their fins on most of the time. Its like.. they have an underwater palace, which while they are in it they have legs. They come up to the surface land, which while they are there, they have legs. The only time they have fins is during the to and from in the water. Its like fins of convienance, like getting into a car when you go from your house to the grocery store. You dont actually have a car attatched to your body, you just use it to go places. They dont actually stay merpeople all the time, they just use the fins for transport perposes.

All in all, it IS funny, and I WILL be watching it, but it really isnt that great a series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hentai4me

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:58 pm Reply with quote
Just hearing the description of the opening scenes...anyone else reminded of an early Tom Hanks film?
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:09 pm Reply with quote
hentai4me wrote:
Just hearing the description of the opening scenes...anyone else reminded of an early Tom Hanks film?

Forget Tom Hanks... think John Candy and the funniest Swedish quotation evah. Oh, hey, and a young and (then) very scrumptious Daryl Hannah.

Well, nevermind... the story bears little resemblance to Splash! beyond the presence of a mermaid. It's a funny little romantic comedy with some hilarious sight gags and one of the best OPs this season.

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:17 am Reply with quote
I just noticed that Halko Momoi is voicing the main character. That'll keep me watching.

Besides that though, this is a fairly entertaining watch. The parents are very...interesting (on both sides), the side characters hilarious in their own ways (esp. that First Kiss Yakuza guy), and of course I'm waiting to see if a serious romantic relationship will actually develop.

The midget girl reminds me of Suiseiseki...they both say "~desu" the same way.
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:28 am Reply with quote
Oh, didn't know there was a thread on this yet (been playing Pokemon Diamond/Pearl the last week or so, have done very little online... Nearly 100 hours... apparently I am still a Pokemon fan >_>).

I've been watching this, and it's really the only show I've enjoyed so far this season. Has Halko too, which is a plus. I haven't really watched that much this season though, but what I've seen hasn't really impressed me...
LuckySleven

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:51 am Reply with quote
Looks interesting but some strange reason the subs don't show up when they talk. The funny thing is that they have it for the OP song. :/
PantsGoblin
Subscriber
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:15 am Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
The midget girl reminds me of Suiseiseki...they both say "~desu" the same way.

I just got to that episode right now and I noticed the similarity immediately. It is most definitely the same seiyuu, Natsuko Kuwatani.

LuckySleven wrote:
Looks interesting but some strange reason the subs don't show up when they talk. The funny thing is that they have it for the OP song. :/

The subs work perfectly fine for me. You should ask somewhere else about that though.

And I just finished watching all the subbed episodes so far and love it. It's hilarious, a couple parts had me laughing to tears (such as the part in episode 2 when spoiler[Nagasumi is trying to dry off San's legs/fin and then San's father walks up and misinterprets the situation. Eh, guess I like perverted jokes like that...]). I'll definitely be watching more of it.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Also, it deserves to be said that, in a season with decidedly lackluster performances in the OP/ED department, Seto no hanayome is graced with a catchy, singable and totally enchanting little OP -- one of the tops in this admittedly graceless season.

BTW... Someone (I'll be kind and mention no names) posted "Bride of the strait" as an English "literal translation" of the title, into the Encyclopedia. I've killed that off, but just to be clear: Seto is a place. Its name is written with the kanji for "strait", but it is a placename, and should not be translated.

Beware of entering "literal translations" of titles or episode titles into the Encyclopedia. Some of the most memorable and time-consuming screw-ups that I have had to clean up have come from this. So avoid it, please.

- abunai
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Speaking of the OP, the encyclopedia entry for the series lists the OP, Romantic Summer, as "SUN&LUNAR". However, I'm pretty sure Halko is the one doing the vocals, which would make sense since she's voicing the main character, and I'm pretty sure that Halko is still working solo. So, what's up with this? Has Halko formed a new group, a temporary unit to sing this one OP, or is the entry in the encyclopedia a mistake?

On another note, I really like the song, but there are actually two songs I like better this season. One being Hayate no Gotoku by KOTOKO, which is yet another KOTOKO song in which she really shows off her powerful voice as well as range. The other, of course, is Lucky Star's OP, Motteke! Sailor Fuku.

[EDIT] Make that three: Days by Yui Horie, from Nagasarete Airantou. I just noticed that all my favorite songs this season are by my favorite singers/artists.

Last edited by frentymon on Sat May 05, 2007 11:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:02 pm Reply with quote
frentymon wrote:
Speaking of the OP, the encyclopedia entry for the series lists the OP, Romantic Summer, as "SUN&LUNAR". However, I'm pretty sure Halko is the one doing the vocals, which would make sense since she's voicing the main character, and I'm pretty sure that Halko is still working solo. So, what's up with this? Has Halko formed a new group, a temporary unit to sing this one OP, or is the entry in the encyclopedia a mistake?

Temporary group, I think. And yes, it's Momoi Halko and Nogawa Sakura singing.

frentymon wrote:
On another note, I really like the song, but there are actually two songs I like better this season. One being Hayate no Gotoku by KOTOKO, which is yet another KOTOKO song in which she really shows off her powerful voice as well as range. The other, of course, is Lucky Star's OP, Motteke! Sailor Fuku.

Well, I did say (or rather, imply) that it was a mediocre season for OP/ED themes, but that doesn't mean they're all bad. The two you mention are good, though I'd rank them Lucky Star - Seto no hanayome - Hayate no gotoku, but that's just individual taste. Also, the music from Tengen Toppa Gurenn Lagann, esp. the ED, is fine. But apart from that.... meh.

- abunai
Jarius

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:18 am Reply with quote
Talking about the music in seto no hayonome the opening is so so pretty catchy tune. So far the best song in seto hanayome in in episode 08. The credits say that the song is sing by SUN - Your gravitation, The other song is by LUNAR - Lunarian. I've serach the internet but there isnt any information regarding this SUN&LUNAR. So i'm trying to find out who is the singer that is nicknamed SUN. that song is just great. The ending in 08 is also another version of the ED right, maybe another part of the full verison. Its super nice compared to the other ED.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 9:24 am Reply with quote
Jarius wrote:
The other song is by LUNAR - Lunarian. I've serach the internet but there isnt any information regarding this SUN&LUNAR. So i'm trying to find out who is the singer that is nicknamed SUN.

Wait, wait, I know this.

Lunar most definitely refers to Sakura Nogawa, who voices pop star Lunar in the series.

Then Sun has to refer to Halko who voices San Seto. San = Sun, if you pronounce "San" the way the Japanese do it sounds just like "Sun".

Now I have a hunch that Lunar will become VERY important in the series. Which is good, I actually really like her.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Jarius wrote:
Now I have a hunch that Lunar will become VERY important in the series. Which is good, I actually really like her.

You do? I can't stand her. The series already has one pink-haired, false-faced character. Now that the second one is cruel and possesive towards the lead male, I'm starting to feeling tired with the series. At least Maki isn't attacking what's-his-face just for breathing anymore.

On the other hand, I love San's mom and that she has a sense of humor about stuff like the leg-drying in episode two and more.

Lastly, Mawari reminds me ever so slightly of Haruhi.
frentymon
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:47 pm Reply with quote
Yes, Episode 8!

spoiler[Exactly what I wanted, a singing competition to settle things! I do actually think that Halko outsang Sakura for that one, but I'm going to be crawling around looking for both insert songs anyway.]

Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
You do? I can't stand her.

I had a hunch she would spoiler[throw away the bad side of her personality after she lost to San, my main reason for liking her. That, and I like the bubbly side of her personality (Maki won't change and her bubbly side doesn't fit, so...).]

Quote:
Lastly, Mawari reminds me ever so slightly of Haruhi.

She actually reminds me more of Tomo...

And I can't believe I just noticed this, but San Seto = Sunset.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2