• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Quantity of anime series produced per year.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
Last year I posted a similar topic and this is a followup for 2011.

These numbers come from the ANN encyclopedia list so they may not be 100% accurate. They also don't account for the length of a series. I think they paint a pretty solid general picture though.

The actual numbers:
Year TV Movies
1996 42 30
1997 46 31
1998 75 22
1999 83 33
2000 57 35
2001 91 40
2002 92 40
2003 105 35
2004 122 41
2005 117 51
2006 161 55
2007 150 60
2008 138 36
2009 131 48
2010 113 44
2011 145 50

So this is good. Things were looking a bit worrisome last year. After the collapse, the number of TV had fallen for four years in a row. However, the number of TV series produced shot drastically back up in 2011. Movies hit a post collapse high as well (although they've always been kinda all over the place).
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Interesting, thanks for this, ikc. I would love to know why TV production spiked so dramatically in 1998; going from 46 the year before to 75. Then another big spike in 2006 compared to the year before.

I don't know if you'd have the patience for this, ikc, but I'd be fascinated to see how many of the TV shows and movies were released in R1 in each year. It'd be interesting to see if the percentage of licensed anime has been changing over time.
shabaz92

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:08 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting information, and from the looks of things early on 2012 isn't going to slow down. It's nice to see some positive information when you so often hear that the industry is in the toilet.
st_owly

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

I don't know if you'd have the patience for this, ikc, but I'd be fascinated to see how many of the TV shows and movies were released in R1 in each year. It'd be interesting to see if the percentage of licensed anime has been changing over time.

Are you meaning what %age of shows from a given year ever get released in R1, even if it's not in the year they were produced?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:02 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Interesting, thanks for this, ikc. I would love to know why TV production spiked so dramatically in 1998; going from 46 the year before to 75.

Well, I'm not sure what exactly accounts for that specific year but generally anime was exploding in popularity right around that time.

Evangelion aired in 96. Pokemon started to air in 97. Dragonball Z started airing in the US in 96.

st_owly wrote:
Blood- wrote:

Are you meaning what %age of shows from a given year ever get released in R1, even if it's not in the year they were produced?

This was my dilemma also. It's an interesting idea and I thought about doing such a calculation but I figured it would be fairly inaccurate since shows are often licensed in a different year than they are actually produced.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Well, just to clarify, I'm only interested in knowing what the number of RELEASED shows in a given year was, regardless of what year they had their Japanese release and regardless of when they were officially licensed by an R1 distrib. I.e. in 1996, "x" number of TV shows were released from Jan. 01 to Dec. 31, 1996. Same thing in 1997 and so on. I'd love to be able to compare the two figures, and for all the other years, as well.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
The release list in the Encyclopedia goes back to 1993; you just have to change the date in the drop down (and highlight the year instead of a specific month). When you want to actually count the number of stuff, highlight the list and paste it into a spreadsheet and just see how many rows that takes up.

It's not perfect, but I think it's close enough for you to get an idea of how the industry grew and shrank.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:04 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Interesting, thanks for this, ikc. I would love to know why TV production spiked so dramatically in 1998; going from 46 the year before to 75. Then another big spike in 2006 compared to the year before.

I suspect in 1998, it was the advent of computer graphics becoming more widely accepted and used making production costs go down and allowing companies to churn out more things? 2006 smacks to me of around the time when studios switched over to the making things chiefly in the widescreen format. I don't know why that would make anime spike though. Those are my guesses anyway.
lem

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
if I counted correctly, that's 1668 tv shows and 651 movies.
Does an OVA of feature length qualify as a movie, or? Or is what has been counted as a movie only something that was released in a theatre? Seems to me things like OVA's/OAV's however one wants to refer to them as, would kinda blur the line on what's what.

Blood- wrote:
Interesting, thanks for this, ikc. I would love to know why TV production spiked so dramatically in 1998; going from 46 the year before to 75. Then another big spike in 2006 compared to the year...

just a guess, but would the introduction of the DVD format have something to do with this '98 spike? and likewise for blu-ray in 2006? and what's with the dramatic dip of both in 2000? and I have to wonder how much of a role the improving technology in the pc/microchip world played a part in the overall increase in production... I think nowadays everyone simply takes for granted things like hi def, hi speed web access, terabyte hard drive space, smart phones and the like, but I can remember a time when all that was just so much hot air, vaporware, and the idea of "convergence" merely something further down the road, far beyond the reach of everyday existence. At any rate, an interesting snapshot of the increased output, thanks for the quick breakdown.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Kruszer wrote:
Blood- wrote:

I suspect in 1998, it was the advent of computer graphics becoming more widely accepted and used making production costs go down and allowing companies to churn out more things? 2006 smacks to me of around the time when studios switched over to the making things chiefly in the widescreen format. I don't know why that would make anime spike though. Those are my guesses anyway.

Was 2006 when the moe boom started to happen? If so that would probably explain it. Gotta try and jump on that gravy train.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
lem wrote:
if I counted correctly, that's 1668 tv shows and 651 movies.
Does an OVA of feature length qualify as a movie, or? Or is what has been counted as a movie only something that was released in a theatre? Seems to me things like OVA's/OAV's however one wants to refer to them as, would kinda blur the line on what's what.

If ANN doesn't list it as a movie then it didn't get counted. (Movie series did though). I didn't do OVAs at all. In general, OVAs aren't especially significant these days. They're mostly just bonus episodes for existing TV series rather than new, independent projects. Certainly there are exceptions but for the most part I think counting OVAs would just skew the results.

The King of Harts wrote:
The release list in the Encyclopedia goes back to 1993; you just have to change the date in the drop down (and highlight the year instead of a specific month). When you want to actually count the number of stuff, highlight the list and paste it into a spreadsheet and just see how many rows that takes up.

Yeah, this is how I count em. Trouble is, that list lists every single physical release separately. As a result, you'd basically end up multiplying everything by three simply by virtue of earlier shows being released as singles. Then though there's also the recent advent of funimation style multiple re-releases and the issue of getting two separate releases for DVD and BD sometimes which skews things back the other way. No, I'm afraid that without manually counting it all to reduce it to a simple "series per year" figure it's just not gonna tell you anything meaningful.
RGaspar

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:43 pm Reply with quote
This is very interesting data, indeed.

After all that talk about the industry dying and stuff, it seems there are A LOT of titles produced each year.

Surprised to see the production nowadays seems to be two to three times bigger than in the 90s. Is this a consequence of the expanded global market for anime?? Or maybe it's just the japanese guys recovering economically. I'm not too versed on the matter, but I think they have had a serious financial crisis circa 1995.

It would be nice if we had some kind of historical chart for this, going all the way back to the 60s. But we all know ANN wasn't online at that time Razz (nobody was online yet, not even obscure american agencies). I don't think there were a lot of titles in the first anime decades. But maybe the 80s just seen a lot of titles coming out to the market. Who knows?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:16 pm Reply with quote
It is pretty interesting that there seemed to be so many big shows in 2006 when there was a boom: Haruhi, Death Note, Code Geass, Zero no Tsukaima, Ouran, and several popular series' sequels.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:36 am Reply with quote
RGaspar wrote:
This is very interesting data, indeed.

After all that talk about the industry dying and stuff, it seems there are A LOT of titles produced each year.

Surprised to see the production nowadays seems to be two to three times bigger than in the 90s. Is this a consequence of the expanded global market for anime?? Or maybe it's just the japanese guys recovering economically. I'm not too versed on the matter, but I think they have had a serious financial crisis circa 1995.

It would be nice if we had some kind of historical chart for this, going all the way back to the 60s. But we all know ANN wasn't online at that time Razz (nobody was online yet, not even obscure american agencies). I don't think there were a lot of titles in the first anime decades. But maybe the 80s just seen a lot of titles coming out to the market. Who knows?

Japan had the bubble economy burst in the early 90s, and it's really easy to notice how it affected anime. OVA and movie production went down, as did the quality of the shows (Here is Greenwood, Please Save My Earth being examples of fairly low budget OVAs). And for TV anime, it caused a trend of 1 or 2 cour shows become more popular instead of 4 cour.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:41 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Japan had the bubble economy burst in the early 90s, and it's really easy to notice how it affected anime. OVA and movie production went down, as did the quality of the shows (Here is Greenwood, Please Save My Earth being examples of fairly low budget OVAs). And for TV anime, it caused a trend of 1 or 2 cour shows become more popular instead of 4 cour.

Oddly enough, it seems like this was a good thing as far as TV was concerned.

If you look at TV shows from the 80s and early 90s you basically see three things: A handful of popular, long running series, a number of space opera type shows and then a whole lot crap that nobody cares about or even remembers. That's not to say it was an especially bad time for TV anime but there really wasn't a lot of variety or experimentation. Then we hit the mid 90s and all of a sudden we get this explosion of TV anime. Evangelion, Cowboy Bebop, SE Lain, Trigun, Utena, Escaflowne, Kenshin, Berserk. All kinds of good stuff (and basically all the stuff that would go on to create the massive anime explosion in America a few years later). I don't know why this is exactly. As a general rule, the tighter the financial situation in an entertainment industry, the less variety and experimentation. Maybe shorter shows encouraged more variety. Maybe it all comes back to Evangelion. I don't know.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2